Today we got the accelerometer working! We’ll need to change how it is set up to get cleaner output, but we do in fact have some output. Also, our conductive fabric (which we had previously been told would be delayed for four weeks) will be here much sooner, though we needed to sacrifice the privilege of using pink fabric for the grey which we are now getting.
Next up is writing the code to use the accelerometer data to produce a rotation and vertical acceleration.
We also decided to document our work with photos, so I’ll be uploading photos either to this site or to some photo hosting site at some point.
As a side note, I am also writing a program to use a wacom tablet as instrument with Python + Pygame. Pressure will map to volume, vertical position to frequency, and horizontal position to time until note is played. The interface will be a leftward-scrolling window in which you can draw with the wacom tablet. When whatever you have drawn hits the left side of the window, it will make sound. I’ll post more about this later, but if anyone has a good way of getting Wacom Tablet pressure data in Python, feel free to tell me. For some reason reading from /dev/input/wacom (a symlink to whatever /dev/input/event* the tablet is actually mapped to) doesn’t work, and I can only get position data using Python’s Xlib bindings. It also does not show up as a joystick in Pygame (my laptop’s accelerometer does, though), which would have been nice.